Would you like to gain some valuable and rewarding experience whilst really making a difference to your local community?
Are you interested in volunteering with a leading mental health charity?
If so, you may be the person we are looking for!
Volunteers provide the perfect complement to our services here at Derbyshire Mind. We believe that volunteers bring a variety of unique skills, experiences and ideas to our organisation and help to enhance the support we can provide to our service users.
Volunteering Opportunity Advert – September 2021:
We are currently seeking up to four Community Volunteers to support our MindSpace groups in Derby City:
Community Volunteer (MindSpace Walk Leader) – For the two Derby City groups.
(Groups run on Friday Mornings 10.30-12pm, alternating between Markeaton Park and Sinfin Moor Park – See Role Description for more information)
We know that spending time in green space such as going for a stroll in a local park with a friendly and understanding group of people can really benefit both mental and physical wellbeing.
Derbyshire Mind’s MindSpace walks are informal community walks in local parks and cafes. They are designed to provide a supportive and empathetic listening group to those that may need it while getting out and benefiting from the fresh air and abundant nature we have around us.
The walks are not vigorous walks, more a relaxed walk and a chat. They are informal and unstructured so that they can flex to suit whatever the group needs or wants to do on the walk that week.
Main Purpose of the Role:
The main purpose of this Walk Leader role is to facilitate the welcoming feel and overall success of Derbyshire Mind’s MindSpace community groups in Derby by:
- providing a warm, friendly and non-judgemental presence in the group
- initiating a relaxed walk around the local park alongside a fellow MindSpace volunteer
- supporting group attendees by being a good listener and a generally a friendly person to chat with
- and by being a positive ambassador for Derbyshire Mind.
Examples of the types of responsibilities you could be asked to provide include:
- Facilitating a friendly, welcoming, and inclusive environment within the MindSpace group(s)
- Initiating a walk with the group around the park according to the group’s abilities or desires that day
- Talking with and listening to attendees who may require someone to listen to them
- Treating all attendees with kindness, empathy, understanding and respect
- Providing information about local Derbyshire Mind services and other community groups as necessary
- Working with and alongside other MindSpace volunteers within the group
- Being reliable and punctual, and committing to at least 6 months following training
Full training and induction will be provided to support you in this role
– For the full list of responsibilities, please read the role description
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in this role and think you have what it takes to be a friendly and welcoming community volunteer, please complete the application form by clicking this link:
Apply for Derbyshire Mind MindSpace Volunteering Role
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS:
Please complete your application form before:
Monday 4th October 2021, at 1pm
If we would like to invite you in for interview you will hear from us by the 7th October 2021.
(If you do not hear from us by this date, then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful on this occasion. Please do look out for future volunteering opportunities.)
INTERVIEWS WILL BE HELD ON:
Friday 15th October
Interviews will hopefully be face-to-face at a suitable location in Derby. Alternative dates are potentially available if absolutely necessary.
IF SUCCESSFUL, YOUR TRAINING AND INDUCTION DAY WILL TAKE PLACE ON:
Either Thursday 11th November or Friday 12th November 2021 – Approx from 10am until 4pm
This will be delivered face-to-face in Derby.
HAVE ANY QUESTIONS?
Our Community Services Manager Jenny Ryan is managing this particular volunteering opportunity. If you have any questions or would like to discuss the roles, or if you need to discuss alternative methods of applying, please contact her by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Vacancy Documents:
To apply for one of these roles, complete the Application Form here: Volunteer Application Form
Click here to read Derbyshire Mind’s Privacy Statement
Thank you for considering donating your time to help us support people in Derby and Derbyshire who are experiencing feelings of low mood and depression, isolation, stress, anxieties and worries, grief and bereavement, and low self-esteem. You are giving an amazing gift!