Our focus is on improving mental health and wellbeing for people across Derby and Derbyshire. We provide a range of advocacy and community mental wellbeing services designed to support people with mental health problems as well as the wider population.
Derbyshire Mind (formerly Derby Mind) was established as a local mental health group in 1967 and is a registered charity and company limited by guarantee. We have over 50 years experience of working locally, supporting people in Derby and Derbyshire to maintain good mental health.
“ "For everyone in Derbyshire to have good mental
wellbeing and to live their best life." ”
At Derbyshire Mind, our Purpose is:
“To work with people in Derbyshire to deliver services and support, build awareness of mental health and promote mental wellbeing.”
We believe in empowering people to understand their rights and to fulfil their potential. But there’s so much to be done, and that’s why we’re here. Over the next four years we will:
- Deliver services and support for people when they need them, tackling mental health problems early to prevent them from getting worse.
- Deliver high quality independent advocacy services, to make sure everyone has a voice when important decisions are being made about their health and their lives.
- Be a source of information for Derbyshire people, helping them to find the right support and to navigate the sometimes complex systems and processes which can be a barrier to access.
- Provide information and training in a range of different ways, to help people to take good care of their own mental wellbeing.
- Make it a priority to do everything we can to support Derbyshire people and communities to promote and re-build good mental wellbeing following the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic.
- Do better when it comes to promoting equality and diversity in our organisation and beyond.
- Involve people with lived experience and service users in all aspects of our work, on equal terms: co-producing services and systems at every opportunity.
Read more about our strategy headlines for 2021-2025
“ Derbyshire Mind are here to help make sure that everyone in Derby and Derbyshire can enjoy good mental wellbeing and live their best lives. We are a friendly, supportive and optimistic charity who want to work alongside local people to create change. We believe that everyone can have good mental wellbeing with the right support! ”
Jenny Hotchkiss, Chief Executive