Independent Health Complaints Advocacy


What is Independent Health Complaints Advocacy?

A service to support people to make a formal complaint about their NHS care or treatment, including any complaint against an organisation or service funded by the NHS.

If you are unhappy with the service you or others have received from a hospital doctor, dentist, GP surgery or any other NHS service you can raise your concerns about it.

By raising your concerns it can help put things right and the NHS can learn from your experience. This could include an explanation, an apology and information about how the NHS has used your experience to improve services or care.

Who is the service for?

The service is available for any Derbyshire resident who wishes to make a formal complaint.  You can also complain on a friend or relative‚Äôs behalf as long as they agree; you should get their permission in writing.

If your friend or relative is very ill, or does not have the capacity to give permission because of an impairment or disability, you may complain on their behalf without their permission, although the health provider will wish to confirm their lack of capacity before accepting the complaint.

You may raise a complaint, or take over a complaint on behalf of a friend or relative who has died even if you do not have their written permission.

How can the service support you?

We can:

  • Listen to your concerns and help you think about what you would like to achieve from your complaint, for example an apology, an explanation and/or an improvement to NHS services.
  • Signpost you to further information and other sources of help
  • Explain the NHS complaints process to you
  • Provide a self-help guide to the complaints process
  • Provide you with an advocate to support you through the process by writing letters on your behalf and attending meetings with you




You can make a complaint yourself using our self-help toolkit.





If you need more support to make your complaint we can provide an advocate to help you.






Sources of information and useful links.



The service is free, independent and confidential.


Contact us